Ugh. What more can I say but a big old UGH.
I went to put pulls on the drawers and when I screwed it in - yes I made a pilot hole - the screw SNAPPED.
So I filled the hole and tried again and it snapped AGAIN. You can see my lousy paint job over the patch in this pic. I couldn't get the broken piece out. Panic ensued.
I bought a screw extractor but it didn't work.
I banged my head against the wall a few times for good measure.
I googled Restoration Hardware and Gilmore pull and found that their handles are wonderful and their screws are TERRIBLE. I found this thread about it on Gardenweb. I SHOULD have checked with the gurus there BEFORE I tried to install them but honestly I figured for the $12 each, I wasn't expecting any problems. WRONG.
I went back to Ikea hoping that I could find one lone drawer front in the as-is pile. I can't say just how lucky I was that I attempted to put the handle on the small top drawer instead of the one with the inset panel. Had it been the panel one I would have been sunk.
I dug through PILES of kitchen odds and sods low and behold I found ONE last liljestad front. It was the VERY last liljestad piece that had left!
My Gilmore pulls will be installed with square head screws from Lowes. Ho hum.