Tuesday, February 12, 2013

DIY Stainless Cooktop

What did you do today?  I saved myself $1,000 on a new cook top today.  I tackled the cook top issue and won.

If you remember, our cook top has had peeling paint issues.  The thing is, it works really well but looks like crap.  I think it was a problem with the paint the manufacturer used because it peeled in the sports closest to the heat.  In a word, UGLY.



I went shopping and looked at new cook tops and new stoves this morning.  I just couldn't justify spending $1000 to replace something for cosmetic reasons.

The metal has been bare and exposed in parts for years and hasn't rusted or corroded.  I knew if I could get the white paint off it would be fine.  Getting it off, was a whole other problem.

I've been slowly scraping away at the paint for a few weeks with a paint scrapper but I didn't get very far.  When I was out ferrying around my kids today it hit me - the dremmel tool. I ran to the hardware store and bought a little drum sander attachment.

It worked like a charm!  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.....


Viola.  My ugly damaged white rimmed cook top has a new life in stainless steel land.  I need to find a place to buy some new knobs for it but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.



So there you have it, I spent the afternoon sanding my cook top.  Tomorrow, I rip apart the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment