Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Counter Quotes

With the island rejig, we REALLY need a new kitchen counter.  No adds here for any of these compaies.  I wish I could use the blog for getting a discount.  No such luck.

I ordered a sample from Formica and got a quote for redoing the island from Lowe's in Formica FX calacatta marble with their new on all sides egde profile.  It is a really impressive fake.  Sadly, the price was $1400 for just formica for JUST the island.  Gulp.


I also got a quote for real statuario classic marble as well.  It certainly is gorgeous but I don't know how well it will hold up with our very sloppy family.  It rang in at $7k for the whole ktichen which was a tad more spendy that I thought.  


I also got a vague quote for quartz which was around $5k to do the whole kitchen. I'm not sold on quartz either.  I'm not a big fan of the speckles.

In the mean time, I started googling for make shift solutions.  I had thought about butcher block from Ikea but they don't sell it in large enough lengths to cover our island.

I found Cleverly Inspired $10 wood counter.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't intrigued.


And this from Breakfast for Dinner


I know wood, especially dimensional lumber will warp over time.  I think it might be a really good interm solution for my problem.  If I really can make a top for my island for less than $100 I think it might be worth a try.

I think there is a better way to construct it thought.  I've been watching Ana White for years and I think the Kreg Jig is the way to put this sucker together.  The Friendly Home did this table for Ana White and I think that would look REALLY good on an island and I might just give it a go.


I think a nice weathered grey stain would look really good with what I have going on in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment