Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spring Cleaning

Its warm and wonderfully sunny here today!  YEAH!

I decided that today would be a good day to take down the bedroom curtains and wash them.  Mr. was inside laughing at me as you can see.



As I often do, I got side tracked on the curtain washing.  I had been looking for something, exactly what I now forget, and found one of my mother's dresses.  I LOVED this dress when I was a kid.  I don't ever remember her wearing it, but I drooled over it hanging in her closet.

For the record, my mother, who passed away in 2006, would be UTTERLY mortified if I showed anyone this picture with her "skinny legs showing like that".  Her she is in all her glory, probably late 1940's  or early 1950's vintage - its just a guess the photo is undated.  My cousin asked me recently if I still had THE purple floral dress.  Clearly I was not the only one smitten by it.  I didn't think I did still have it until I found it last week.

I soaked it in some oxy clean over night last night and held my breath.  I still had a dress this morning.  I threw it in the wash with the curtains and held my breath again hoping it would make it through the wash.


It wasn't until it was finished with the wash that I noticed its linen.  Linen wears like iron and she came out of the was looking absolutely lovey.  I highly suspect its the first time its ever been washed.  I'm sure my mother would have had it dry cleaned.


Its just as lovely as it was 60 plus years ago.  I just LOVE the print!


This dress would have fit me when I was 8 or 9.  I was taller than my mother when I was 9.  My daughter, however, is tiny like my mother.  Stay tuned for some pics of her modeling the dress after its dry and ironed.




No comments:

Post a Comment