Friday, November 7, 2014

What is in my head....

Its not very often that we get to go back in time and revisit ourselves.  We can think of the past but to really go back and relive a moment is a truly rare thing.  I recently had such a moment.

For a while, I worked as a self-representing artist.  I painted and sold quirky folk art.  At the height of my art career, I had built up a following and had sold to people in many different countries including Australia, Italy, the UK, the US and Canada.

For what ever reason, naked women became my thing.  It was amazing how it was almost exclusively women gravitated to them.  

Life happened and that chapter of my life closed rather abruptly.  I have several pieces of my work scattered throughout my house.  

The chicken lives in the hall.  Its one of my favorites that I ACTUALLY framed.  


If you read my blog, you might have seen this one in DS's room.  


And the one of my older son walking our dog.  




I painted very few of people I know.  The one of my older son and our dog is one of the VERY rare exceptions.  A collector in Texas bought it.  I don't even have it anymore. Almost all of things I created existed in my crazy head.  






And, well, you get the idea.  I have a LARGE portfolio of work most of which I sold.  

This spring, I landed back in my old life.  I went back to work for my old employer.  It was a surreal experience.  I saw people I hadn't seen in 10 years.  I caught up on office news.  I also met a pile of new people.  

One of the new people was just utterly remarkable.  Before me stood one of my the women from my art.  A real iteration of a figment of my imagination. 

I painted this eight years ago in July 2006.  I MET her this year in a training session.  We both felt a crazy instant connection to each other.  Recently I rather sheepishly told her that I had at one time, painted naked women and that, I had actually concocted her in my head years before.  

I scrambled around looking for it. I was sure I still had it.  Of the 800 or so paintings I did, I have less than 50 in my personal collection.  Most of the stars are on my walls. A lot of the works I have, are partially finished or the rejects I meant to fix or alerter or just didn't go where I wanted them to and were relegated to the meh pile.  

And I found it!


I was SO excited that I STILL had it.  And guess what, I don't have it anymore!  Yup, it has a new home. I hope I never see real green skies or freaky smiling cats and flying dogs.  I think one character from my head popping my life and walking into my house and giving me a huge big hug is exactly what I needed right now.

Life leads you down a path and you meet the people you need to meet to live your story.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment