Saturday, May 25, 2013

Subway Tile Patch Up

I have said it here before, I love subway tile.  Our kitchen backs plash has been white subway tile for quite some time.  I love it as much as when I first installed it.  Its clean, simple and always looks fresh.




Always that is until you rip out your plastic laminate counter with its built in back splash thing-a-m-bob and are left with a rather nasty looking hack job.



I am  embarrassed  to admit we have lived with the tiles looking like this for three months.  The problem was, we don't own a tile saw.  Because the tiles were installed before the counter, every single tile needed about a 1/4" shaved off.  Twenty seven full tiles and a few odd bity ones.  Too much to do with tile nippers.

Hubs has a friend  who has a wet saw but he lives 2.5 hours away and I had to patiently wait for a wet saw rendez vous.    Tile saw friend brought it to Hubs two weeks ago but forgot to bring the water pan with it.  Doh.  A golf date last weekend ended in a water pan pass and we were ready to go!





Check out my cute pink utility knife. 



Because NOTHING is perfect in any house, ever single tile had to be cut slightly differently.  


Dry fitting the tiles.  I need to run out and buy some mastic so I can set these tomorrow!  When I bought the original tiles, I bought enough extra to fill in the gap should we ever re-do the counter.  I am am still shocked at my forethought that I bought enough tiles to complete this job at a future date!  No die lot mismatches!  Yeah me!


My friend and I were shopping the other day and she commented that another friend of ours was looking for industrial stools for her kitchen.  I have a single vintage and would LOVE two more.  The modern repros we saw were no where near as handsome or as detailed as the one I have.  I don't know its exact date but my guess but probably 1940's vintage.  It came from my father-in-laws civil engineering shop.  Its a draftsman stool and  appears  to be missing a removable back.  I can't seem to find a makers mark on it.   Its been sitting in my in-laws basement since at least the 1980's.  If you have any thoughts on where I could find some mates for it, preferably vintage please leave me a comment.  My kids fight over who gets to sit on this one.  




No comments:

Post a Comment